Kodi, previously XBMC is the most used media player to stream movies, TV shows, live sports and IPTV channels. It has a huge user base due to the team of a developer working behind this fantastic application. The developers continuously keep updating the version for enhancing the user experience. The beta version has been released with major bug fixes by the team. This article shows you how to update Kodi on any of your devices.
Update Kodi on Windows
There are 2 ways to update Kodi on your windows device. One is through Kodi add-on called windows installer and the other is directly through windows store. You can just follow one way completely until the latest version Kodi is installed on your windows device.
Through windows installer
- Once the Kodi app has been launched on Windows, go to add-ons and click on the package installer icon (box icon) on the top menu.
- After clicking on the box icon, click on ‘Install from repository’.
- Scroll down through the list of repositories and select the ‘Kodi add-ons’ repository.
- Then go to the program add-ons, then from list select windows installer and then tap on install.
- Go back to the main screen, once your installation process is complete. After that select Add-on and then program add-on and lastly click on Kodi installer.
- Now click on releases then select WIN32 option.
- Choose from the list of various Kodi Leia version you want.
- Select the latest Kodi 18.2 version, once it has been downloaded you can enjoy the updated version of Kodi.
Through windows store
- Open the Windows Store.
- Search for the free Kodi app and click on get the app.
- As a pop-up dialogue box appears, click on the open Microsoft store option.
- After that select get/launch option.
- Later when the app has been downloaded, open the file.
- The older version is overwritten by the latest version keeping all your settings intact which includes Kodi add-ons and repositories.
Update Kodi on Android Devices
To update Kodi on any of your android devices like android phones and TV boxes, you can follow the below guidelines of either of the two steps. You can upgrade Kodi from Google Play Store or from Kodi download website.
Google Play Store
- Login to your google play accounts after launching Google Play Store app on your Android device.
- Type ‘Kodi’ in search and you will get Kodi listed in your search options.
- If Kodi is already installed on your android device, the option to update Kodi should be available on Google Play Store and then click on the update button.
- Note that you might be prompted for the payment option. For that click on ‘remind me later’ option as the Kodi app is free and shouldn’t cost you a penny.
- Complete the instructions to update to the latest version of Kodi.
Kodi Download website
- Open the Kodi download website and select the Android option since the update is to be made on android device. (It’s best to open the website directly on the device to download the .apk file on your device itself.)
- Select the appropriate ARM version. Most of the Android TV boxes are 32 bits for that you can select ARMV7A (32bit) and for the 64bit device, you can select ARMV8A (64bit).
- After that .apk file starts downloading and then tap on the .apk file and follow the wizard to install on your device.
Update Kodi on iOS devices
To install and update Kodi on your iOS devices follow these easy steps given below:
- Download Cydia Impactor on your PC or iOS device. Click on Mac OS X to download if you are using Mac or windows if you have windows PC.
- On your computer or Mac, download Kodi 17.6 IPA.
- Now connect your iOS device to your PC or Mac device with the USB cable.
- Copy and paste the downloaded Cydia Impactor to a new folder created on your PC or Mac before copy pasting it.
- Now to run the program click Impactor.exe in the file.
- Drag the downloaded Kodi 17.6 ipa file and drop it into the Cydia Impactor.
- Then you’ll be prompted to enter your Apple ID, type in your Apple ID.
- Now the latest version of Kodi will start installing and updating by itself.
Update Kodi on Firestick
To update Kodi on your firestick you can follow any of the two steps given below. You just need to choose one step from the two and your task is done.
- Switch on your firestick and go to the main menu, then settings, next device and then developer options.
- Enable ADB debugging and apps from unknown devices.
- Then go back to preferences and click on the advertising ID and turn off internet-based ads.
- Now go the main menu and type downloader in the search bar.
- Then select the downloader from the search list and download it on your firestick.
- Click Open to launch the downloader once the downloading is completer and then click OK.
- Type in the URL to download Kodi and then click Go. The Kodi app starts downloading.
- Click on Install Kodi after downloading is complete on your device.
- After that, you can find the latest Kodi app installed on your device. Click Open to open and enjoy the app.
- Through ES File Explorer
- Switch on your firestick and goto main menu and search for ES file explorer in your search bar and open it (you must have ES File Explorer installed on your firestick).
- Now click tools and then download manager.
- Choose the +new at the bottom of the screen.
- Type the following path and click go.
- To type Kodi 17.6 enter a name for the path.
- Now Select the download Now option and the latest version starts downloading.
- After this select open file and it will install the latest version of Kodi on your firestick.
- After installation is complete you can launch Kodi.